Monday, March 30, 2015

Ciau Italy!

Our last few days in Paris were rainy and cold, and unfortunately due to the combination of smoke pollution and wet weather I caught a cold. Which consequently made the overnight train to Padua, Italy miserable. But I made it, and after a few days breathing clear Italian air I am fortunately feeling much better.

We had to get through a rainy day in Trieste first, but it's been clear skies since then, and Italy is absolutely beautiful. My roommate's cousin welcomed us into her home for a few days, so we've been staying with her and traveling around various parts of Northern Italy. We head to Sicily in a few days, where their family lives, and to prepare me for the inevitable insanity that is an Italian family gathering (especially when its one for Easter) we had dinner with her cousin's uncle and his family.

The average Italian guest dinner is an interesting experience. I was given a tour of the house by the one member of the family who spoke English and introduced to all the rest (his expecting wife, his mother-in-law, and their three children). The house was beautiful, one that he was renovating himself and decorating with amazing detail. The family was all very nice, and we spent a lot of time laughing while the two people who spoke both languages translated for everyone. While we were waiting for dinner, the old family videos were pulled out and played (where I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of people in Italian families) and then the wedding album, both of which were entertaining. I was told that this was normal and that whenever guests are over this happens.

Dinner was homemade Italian pizza, and I feel like a changed person after eating it. Sfinciuni, an incredible Sicilian pizza, was served, and afterwards their eldest daughter, who wants to become a pastry chef, made us pancakes, and it was a fantastic meal. We had to hurry out to catch our train back to Padua afterwards, but it was an incredible evening.

Since then I have visited Milan, where I was intimidated by the ridiculous amounts of high end stores, Verona, where I visited Juliet's house and stood on her balcony, and Venice, where handmade glass and gondolas rule the city built on water. I think of the places in Italy I've been, Verona and Venice are my favorites. We were able to enjoy the cities with sun and gelato, something I've been craving since cloudy England, and just wandering the streets is beautiful.

The food has also been phenomenal. Pasta and pizza and gelato and more kinds of meat than I knew existed. It makes me excited for Sicily, where more Italians and their families means more food, even if it means I will continue to be the tallest, blondest person there.

I won't have internet while I'm in Sicily, but when I get to Rome after I should, so I'll be able to tell all about my adventures then. So until then, buonanotte Italy and good morning California,

Sam

Pizza!

Castle in Trieste

Trieste

Trieste

James Joyce in Trieste

The Basilica in Milan

Milan

Inside the Basilica in Milan

Milan

Verona

Verona

Verona

The arena in Verona

Verona

Verona

Juliet's House in Verona

Writing on the tunnel to Juliet's House in Verona

Stick your letters to Juliet to the wall

Juliet's Balcony

It's good luck to touch the statue of Juliet's breast

Verona

Venice

Venice

Venice

Gondola rides in Venice

A Basilica in Venice

Venice

Venice

Venice

Venice

Milan

Verona


Some of the glass jewelry made in Murano in Venice

No comments:

Post a Comment